Tuesday 25 January 2011

Shepherd Neame Brewery - Faversham, Kent

My personal favourite from this brewery is Spitfire
The beer is a regular with me as I often found in the Two Brewers (Selhurst) before a Crystal Palace game. Very distinctive in its taste, so not always popular with everyone. But personally, when served well this is a very more-ish pint, and enjoyable pint, so much so I named one of the tables at my wedding after it!

Spitfire
Strength: 4.2%
Colour: Dark Reddish Orange
Taste: Slightly spiced. Very distinctive at the first gulp!
Other brewery alternatives: Kents Best, Master Brew
Other Seasonal alternatives: Late Red, Whitsable Bay

Of the alternatives, whilst I'm sure they are perfectly fine, the only one that makes me move from Spitfire is Late Red. Although I have been known to have a Master Brew from time to time, if the barrel of the Spitfire is being changed.

Late Red
Strength: 4.5%
Colour: Copper
Taste: Very easily drunk, with a slight nuttiness

Master Brew
Strength: 3.7%
Colour: Lighter than Spitfire but not much
Taste: A lighter version of the Spitfire in taste too, in my opinion.

As an aside, I did try the Canterbury Jack when it first came out, and didn't take to it at all, I see it is still on sale, which surprises me, I wonder what the target audience is as its not a traditional taste at all.

Finally, the Faversham brewery does an excellent brewery tour which I did a couple of years ago, it ended with a very well informed tasting session. If you do stay over whilst in Faversham, I can thoroughly recommend the Sun Inn, also a Neame pub, as most in town are. Britains oldest brewery goes from strength to strength in my book and long may it continue.

3 comments:

  1. and Early Bird. And Up and Under Ale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Early Bird - yes I would agree with that. Not a massive fan of Bishops Finger though

    ReplyDelete